Thursday, June 12, 2008

Power Naps



I've been testing this out recently (heh) and it really does a world of good. I remember sitting at my desk on some afternoons, my mind and body slowly dozing off. It would be impossible to concentrate on solving any problems or do anything constructive. I'd basically be doing busy work to stay awake until the end of the day.
Since I now work from home, if I get into this state in the afternoon, I just take a 15-20 minute nap and I'm recharged for the rest of the day and into the evening. It really does work. And I've found that a bit of coffee right before makes it even better. I just feel totally energized.
So far I have always got back up, without an alarm, in about 15-20 minutes. I'm not sure why but I just pop awake and by the time I walk back to my desk, I'm fully awake.
Here are a couple of articles that discuss this. Here and Here.
So go and pitch that "quite room" with a couch idea to your boss. 20 minutes of downtime for several hours of productivity at the end of the day. ZZZzzzzz......

2 comments:

aaron said...

how about talking a walk? or getting some sunlight. or.....

playing some ping pong!

rtk said...

Sunlight??? What's that?