Thursday, June 26, 2008

Baseball Mid Season Checkup

It's getting close to mid season and I thought it might be a good time to do a quick checkup on my team and analyze some of my picks.

I'm in 3 leagues this year. A MLB Rotisserie league, an AL Rotisserie league, and an NL head-to-head league. Right now, I'm in second place in all three leagues. Not too bad considering some of the players I had high hopes for have not come through yet.

MLB Rotisserie league


The strategy in this league was to go after a high batting average and strike out pitchers. I'm in first place in both those categories, so mission accomplished there. I also tried to pick a bunch of hitters that would have break out seasons, Markakis, Rios, Pence were all high on my list and all of them have fallen short of my expectations. My only real gem was Josh Hamilton. And while I'm at it, here is the biggest blunder of my draft. In round 4 I took Derek Jeter instead of Lance Berkman. I figured the shortage of good middle infielders would start a run and allow me to grab some better guys down the line. This didn't happen and I ended up 1. without Berkman, 2. with Jeter who is doing ok, but far from a round 4 pick, 3. no good corners, 4. I failed to pickup Dan Uggla when someone dropped him because I couldn't get myself to drop Jeter or Placido Polanco. In my mind, if I did grab Berkman, I would have probably picked up Uggla as well, since I had the first waiver wire pick.

AL Rotisserie league


Sort of the same strategy here as with the MLB league. High batting average and strike out pitchers. I'm in the lead in both those categories. I also have Markakis and Rios in this league, so again, sort of disappointed there. But I also have Hamilton and I also have Milton Bradley who has been a great surprise. I ended up punting on saves but luckily so did another team and so now I'm second to the last (instead of last) with 2 saves. I thought my pitching would be really weak, but I'm getting good production out of Zack Greike, Data Eveland, and Kevin Slowey. I'm going to wait until after the All-Star break and try to pick up low ERA/WHIP relievers and start moving up in those categories

NL Head-To-Head


This one is a bit more challenging since it is head to head each week. The key in this league is consistent hitting and finding two start pitchers. My main hitters are Jose Reyes and Lance Berkman. I'm getting huge production out of those two. I also have Shane Victorino, who people laughed at when I drafted him, but in this league stolen bases are 3 point...that's a lot. My pitchers suck but it's all about getting two starts so I'm hanging in there. I really like Tim Lincecum. He's turning out to be the ace of my staff...that sort of says it all right there.

Anyway, we'll see how the second half goes.

No comments: