Friday, June 13, 2008

Flex Killer?

I recently stumbled on Pivot, which is a Java framework that seems to want to provide similar functionality as Adobe Flex and Air (and also Microsoft Silverlight, etc). Mainly, the ability to create more interactive/functional web applications and at the same time support the creation of stand-alone applications using the same cross-platform framework.
I ran their demo and was sorely disappointed. On my system it took about a gazillion "Internet Seconds" to load, had a lot of paint/refresh problems, was not very responsive, and didn't look very appealing. Now I haven't looked at the code, documentation, or even the tutorials, but after the demo....what's the point.
I'd really like to see and use a Java solution, but this is definitely not it. I think Flex has a lot of issues, but for now, it seems like it's the cream of the crop.

No comments: