Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Home (Summer) Schooling

Summer is here and for us that means Summer school for my son. We decided a couple of years ago to tutor him at home during the summer instead of sending him to summer school. The times that we did send him, it seemed as though he didn't really learn much.
So I'll be in charge of Math, Computer skills, and Science. My wife is in charge of the Reading and Writing.

For Math, I'm going to do some review on conversions, things like changing km/h to miles/sec and calculating amounts based on rates. He seemed to have a hard time with that during the school year. I'm also going to start on basic algebra. For computer skills, I'm going to focus on getting his typing speed up. If there is time, and interest, maybe creating a web page. I'm thinking of punting on Science this summer. Experiments take too long to prepare. I was thinking of working a little on his Googling skills and getting him to think 'out of the box' instead. Maybe an Internet scavenger hunt or something like that.

Anyway, classes begin next week Monday. He's got this entire week to play around. But on his first day home at 10:00 AM he says to me..."I'm bored".
I can't wait. :)

1 comment:

aaron said...

thats cool. sounds like you could be a geek dad.