Monday, April 28, 2008

Science Schmience

I know for the most part that science is not exact. You need to gather facts and come to conclusions based on those facts and that it's sometimes just a series of educated guesses. And I have no problem with that, especially when these "conclusions" are fully disclosed and backed up. But sometimes, studies can be just complete non-sense.
Case in point, this article that links breakfast cereal to the sex of your baby. Come on.
The survey pool was 740 first-time mothers, of which 56% had a boy if they consumed a high calorie diet. From this, the "scientist" further drilled down to breakfast and then to breakfast cereal. Now really.....I think that's pretty close to 50-50 in a fairly small sampling.
I do realize that 6% in the larger scheme of things is fairly significant, but where'd they get breakfast cereal? And what about other factors? What about just plain old dumb luck?
And now that I'm completely into this rant.....I think scientist that release these studies should be held accountable for them. If their findings are disproved later, they should rack up one in the Loss column....or something.
I'll wrap this up by saying that my comments are not based in fact either. The study may be completely correct and I have no proof that says that this is not the case. I just find it rather disturbing at how some things are stated like they are truths rather than the educated guesses that they are.

No comments: