Monday, March 17, 2008

Baseball Draft 2008 part 1

This probably won't interest anyone, but i wanted to log it somewhere for future reference.
This is my draft recap from the first Fantasy Baseball draft for 2008.

The league consists of 10 teams. Stat categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, ERA, WHIP.
And each roster consists of: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, DL.

So this is how my draft went. I had the 10th pick.
1. (10) Matt Holliday OF
2. (11) Jimmy Rollins SS
3. (30) Álex Ríos OF
4. (31) Derek Jeter SS
5. (50) Nick Markakis OF
6. (51) Hunter Pence OF
7. (70) Scott Kazmir SP
8. (71) Adrián González 1B
9. (90) Chris Young SP
10. (91) Shane Victorino OF
11. (110) A.J. Burnett SP
12. (111) Matt Cain SP
13. (130) James Shields SP
14. (131) James Loney 1B
15. (150) Joakim Soria RP
16. (151) Josh Hamilton OF
17. (170) Plácido Polanco 2B
18. (171) George Sherrill RP
19. (190) Clay Buchholz SP
20. (191) Iván Rodríguez C
21. (210) Evan Longoria 3B
22. (211) Zack Greinke SP,RP
23. (230) Gil Meche SP
24. (231) Nate Robertson SP

Recap notes from the draft.
The overall strategy of the draft was to get a good Batting Average and get some quality middle tier pitching that maximized K/9.
I liked my first pick. I had Holliday in the top 5 so I was totally happy to get him at 10. I was projecting to get Ryan Howard with my first pick. I could have picked Howard next but Jimmy Rollins was still on the board and I figured it would be better to fill up a middle infield position and if Rollins can repeat his numbers from last season, the steals will make it all worth while.
Before the draft I had targeted a bunch of OF that I really wanted to get. I really wanted Alex Rios, who I think will move into the top 10 this year. Nick Markakis, who could move into All-Star status. Hunter Pence, Corey Hart, Josh Hamilton, Brad Hawpe, and possibly Shane Victorino (for the Hawaii connection and SB) were also on the list. As you can see I got most of the guys I wanted. Although at times I had to reach down my list to get them. But since I was picking at the end, I felt that I had to do that. I passed on Corey Hart, even though he went really late. Mostly since he seemed to be struggling during the pre-season. We'll see how that goes. I was really high on Josh Hamilton. I think he could deliver Ryan Howard type numbers....assuming he stays healthy.
I also got Derek Jeter. Not sure why I did that other than the fact that I've never had Jeter and I like him. If anything, his average should help. Polanco was also a guy that I wanted. I think he is really underrated and his batting average is just awesome.
Again this year, I'm weak in the corners. Maybe I'll get lucky and Evan Longoria can be another Ryan Braun. I doubt it, but one can only hope. I hope passing on Howard doesn't come back to bite me.
I got some of the Pitchers that I wanted. But I missed out on the "stud" pitchers. I really wanted Brandon Webb or CC Sabathia, but they went right before I was going to grab them (round 5/6 I think). Instead I waited and beefed up my offense and later gambled on Scott Kazmir and later AJ Burnett. AJ is the real question mark, he's capable of good numbers....again, if he can stay healthy. I really like Matt Cain and James Shields. I think they will be able to deliver above their draft picks. I also like Buchholz. He could be good.....or not but I was glad to get him where I did. Greinke, Meche, and Robertson also have some potential.
Pitching seemed to go quick in this draft. Maybe it was because I was focusing on Offense so much. There were several runs on Closers and I admit I got caught up in one of them. I was fully planning on punting on Saves.
So that was my first draft of the year. I'm happy with my team. I got a lot of guys that I wanted and who I like. My Offense should be solid. My Pitching is weak, but it has potential.

No comments: