Thursday, July 31, 2008

Inspiring

I've been going through a rough couple of months with my work. Mainly it's been a bit boring and not too much fun. I was recently forwarded a link to The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch from Carnegie Mellon. I saw this when it was first posted sometime last year but I decided to watched it again.
Without even going into the fact that my problems are minuscule in comparison, his lecture was inspiring to me on many levels. He talks about having dreams and working hard and living right as ways to achieve your goals. He also talked about mentoring, something that I really enjoy doing but have not been able to do too much recently.
So I've decided to get out of my funk and focus on building upon my skill set, working hard to achieve my goals, and try to help others as best as I can.
I have also decided to spend the rest of the Summer teaching my son to use Alice. Alice is a tool to help students learn to program using a 3D interactive programming environment. It makes learning the basics of programming fun and interesting. Randy Pausch was one of the people who helped to put Alice together.
Thanks Randy...

1 comment:

aaron said...

awesome! the amazing things about randy is that he was living his dream and he didn't give into it no matter what.

i think what i've learned is that its easy to get inspired and motivated every once in a while and push a little harder. but, its really hard to consistently strive for your dreams.

i was reminded about this somewhat random posting in coding horror.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001046.html

The consistent work enhanced my act. I learned a lesson: it was easy to be great. Every entertainer has a night when everything is clicking. These nights are accidental and statistical: like lucky cards in poker, you can count on them occurring over time. What was hard was to be good, consistently good, night after night, no matter what the circumstances.


that was steve martin saying that.